A negative attitude is poisonous to any individual’s happiness. It deprives people of the ability to enjoy their lives or live to the fullest. Although I could write 10,000 words about it, the point of this article is to share some simple ways to improve a negative attitude. There are many other ways, but everybody needs to start somewhere. Of course, it is impossible to be positive all the time, to eliminate negative attitude from absolutely every situation, but we can all at least try. Being self-aware is the most important thing, and the fact that you are reading this article means you are either affected by attitude (whether it’s your own or somebody else’s), or you want to improve yourself.
The great thing with any habit is that you can change it over time, and attitude is no different. Improving your outlook will also have a positive impact on everybody you come into contact with, be it people you spend most of your day with or people you pass in the street.
Here are 5 ways to ‘Drop a Negative Attitude‘:
Separate facts from opinion
- We are bombarded by people’s opinions all the time: in return, we give our opinion and try to convince them. For example: “I didn’t get the job because my face didn’t fit” – not getting the job is a fact, but the rest is just opinion. Stop making up these opinions and then convincing yourself you are right.
- You cannot change a person’s opinion without facts, and even then it is very difficult.
- Consider this: Does the other person’s opinion really matter? If not, don’t dwell on it!
- Stop seeing people only from your perspective. They are just doing what they think is best, with the experience that they have.
- You don’t know what they have been through or are currently going through. Maybe they are doing better than you would in the same situation?
Stop gossiping and moaning
- Gossip doesn’t do anybody any good, you can guarantee if somebody is willing to gossip with you they will gossip about you.
- Socrates had a “triple filter” for gossip: in short if you cannot not guarantee something was true, useful or positive then you shouldn’t say it!
Don’t be a victim
- Take responsibility for everything.
- Once you stop blaming everything and everybody for your position, it frees you up to be able to do something about it.
- Blaming others is lazy, and is a way to justify not doing anything about the situation. Don’t fall into this trap.
- Make time at least every morning and night to close your eyes, concentrate on your breathing, and think of all the good in your life. Just 5 minutes twice a day would be a good start.
- Ask yourself a couple questions like: What 3 things made me feel good yesterday? What 3 people love me most? Who would miss me if I was gone?
- This simple mini-mediation technique will brighten your mood immediately.
- Even if you can’t see how they deserve it! When you help other people it makes you feel good: do it for yourself, not just for them.
- Give to charity or donate some time by volunteering, if no-one you know needs your help then help strangers.
Of course there is so much more you can do, and you are not going to change your negative attitude overnight. It is also unreasonable to think you will always have a positive attitude: I’m pretty good, but I know I will never achieve perfection. Although I am better than I used to be, I still need to work on it every day and so will you. We are all works-in-progress.
The hardest thing is giving to those you don’t feel deserve it. But while it is the toughest, it is the most valuable. Giving with no expectation of receiving in return brings a great feeling of self-satisfaction, which is rewarding in itself. There’s nothing wrong with patting yourself on the back for a job well done.
Always remember that your attitude is a choice – make the right one!
What do you do on a daily basis to drop a negative attitude? Please leave comments.