Luck – that special, elusive something – an invisible, powerful magnet that attracts success, money and love. We all want it, but how do we get to have more of it in our lives? And why is it that some of us are lucky and some aren’t? Some call it a ‘nose for business’, other’s acting on a hunch that paid off or simply getting an abundance of the right ideas.
Richard Branson and Simon Cowell are well known billionaire entrepreneurs who left school without qualifications, and acted on their instinctive hunches, taking risks others daren’t take to get the lucky results they desired. You might say it was their background that helped, but there are many lucky people who despite the difficult circumstances they were born with, turned their lives around using a bit of special know how.
Nicholas Vujicic, the Australian motivational speaker who travels around the world with his philosophy, ‘No arms, no legs, no worries,’ is one such person. They might not have realised at the time how they did it, but they did – and ultimately it all comes down to the same techniques. And as someone who got a so called ‘lucky’ break into journalism working for mainstream newspapers despite having left school at fifteen, and then landed a five figure book deal within a month, I can now give you my five step guide to attracting more luck.
- DISCOVER YOUR GOAL. There’s a lot of truth in the saying, ‘you can’t get what you want, until you know what you want.’ So what are you trying to achieve? Do you want to get a book deal, buy a dream house or meet your soul mate? Focus on what you want. Successful people always have goals that they can work towards.
- WRITE DOWN AN AFFIRMATION, in the present tense. For example, ‘money is flooding into my bank account’, or ‘I am in a loving relationship with a like-minded partner,’ or ‘I am living in my dream house.’ Stick it somewhere you can see it: on your fridge door, your bedroom door, or your desk. By focusing on what you want and not what you don’t want, you change your attitude. Thoughts are energy. So if you are negative, this affects your body language, your tone of voice and your ‘vibe’ – meaning the atmosphere you give off. But if you focus on what you want, acting as if it’s already happened, then you will give off an electric, happy energy that will attract people to you.
- VISUALISE YOUR OUTCOME, in the present tense for ten minutes a day. I say present tense, because the subconscious mind doesn’t understand past or future, it only understands the NOW. So you need to visualise as if it’s happening now. The subconscious also doesn’t understand the difference between what’s real or imagined. So in the same way you will feel a rush of adrenaline by watching a horror movie or having a bad dream, your body will also respond to the positive feelings of excitement and happiness. So it’s important to engage all your senses to make it as vivid as possible, so that when you see yourself getting that great job or feeling richer, you get a sense of smell, feeling of excitement, what you’re wearing, where you are, and what you can taste, to create a tangible image. This then becomes a living thought form in your energy that can attract what you want to you as in the law of attraction – like attracts like.
- LISTEN TO YOUR GUT – visualising also means that you expand your mind energy, and go into a deeply relaxed state, and this enables you to connect with your innate intuition. We are all intuitive but with busy lives we just don’t pay attention. So write down your dreams, listen to your nagging hunches, and when you get the flash of an idea, write it down. And then act! Don’t wait. Because our inner voice often knows how we should reach a goal long before our rational minds can analyze it.
- TRUST – Once you are focusing, visualising and acting on your hunches, you need to do something very simple – trust! Trust and let go of the outcome, knowing that you have put your energies out there and that synchronicity and coincidence will lead you to your goal. When you trust, you enter into the a state of Grace, where something magical can take over, and you allow everything to flow.