Ah inner peace. Sounds so beautiful. When I think of inner peace I imagine myself lying in a hammock by the ocean with some chill out music playing and lemonade by my side. Birds chirping all around me and not a soul in site.
And then I snap out of it, shit starts happening and it’s time to put out fires.
Hello real world.
Before we get too carried away with all the stressful and crappy things that life throws at us daily we first must stop to remember a few things.
5 things to be exact. Just because things happen that throw us off kilter, doesn’t necessarily mean our inner peace must be jeopardized. Au contraire.
The 5 things to remember to get your inner peace back
- Everything is temporary. All your troubles are temporary. The good, the bad, the ugly. Nothing lasts forever. Whatever crap life threw at you today probably won’t be there tomorrow, or in an hour. When something happens remind yourself it won’t last, you can handle it and it will be better tomorrow.
- You’ve come this far. I mean, really, look at you go! You’ve been through so much already and you’ve survived 100% of it. Nothing can break you or tear you down. You are a warrior. Remember this when shit happens and you’re about ready to lose your marbles and lose your inner peace.
- What will worrying about it do for me? Think about this for a second. If you waste your time worrying about something that might not even happen, well, where is that going to get you? I’ll tell you what’s gonna happen. Inner peace=0, worry=1. Don’t spend your inner peace worrying about stuff you know nothing about. Really.
- Don’t stay there. It’s ok to go down that hole, that negative” this life sucks” hole, but don’t stay there. Let’s face it, our inner peace takes hits all the time. It’s your job to soften the blow, or if you can, shield your inner peace from crap. You knew that though, right? If you have a hard time getting back up after a hit, remember one thing. Remember what that peace feels like and go back there as soon as you can.
- Don’t beat yourself up. We all get hit. We all get knocked down really hard. The trick is to get back up and don’t be so hard on yourself. You slipped, you fell, brush your ass off, regain your composure and embrace your inner peace.
Inner peace is still possible even on the toughest days.
Keep in mind this very important thing, when we lose our inner peace many things happen but mostly we get stressed and feel physically ill. A lot of the physical pain we feel is linked directly to our emotions. Do a body check/scan and see what hurts, where it hurts and how long it has been hurting for.
I can almost guarantee you that as soon as you start releasing some of the emotional pain, your physical pain will disappear. When we have emotional pain, we have no inner peace. Then, we are frustrated, angry, hurt, upset and many other toxic things. It’s a vicious cycle really and one I’m sure you no longer care to be a part of.
Sadly, to this day, too many people still think that inner peace is unattainable but that couldn’t be farther from the truth. Of course it’s attainable but it takes practice. You have to watch for signs that will jeopardize and take a stance. You have to hold your inner peace in high value and high importance.
And practice, practice and more practice. Consistency is key in maintaining peace, happiness, joy and freedom and besides, isn’t that what we are all here for anyway?
This is a great article. Steven you have a brilliant mind.