This week I had the great pleasure of being on Bruce Van Horn podcast radio show. It’s the first time I’ve done anything like this online and putting aside how nervous I was it didn’t turn out too bad.
I talk about my accident and many other experiences that have shaped my life.
Anyway, rather than reading please listen below and let me know your thoughts in the comments.
Quotes from the Show:
- I’m paralysed, why read a book about marathon running?
- In the Summer of 1991, Steven dove into a swimming pool and never walked again.
- After 12 months in the hospital, I came home with a pretty different perspective on life.
- I had a zest for living and an appreciation for all the things I had.
- It’s so easy to judge someone when they’ve hit rock-bottom and say “you’ve been through so much in life, what’s wrong with you?”
- I realized that I was responsible for everything. How I react to what happens to me is what causes my life to go good or bad.
- I was able to focus my mind on what was important. On gratitude and appreciation as opposed to all the bad things.
- I discovered tolerance for other people. We’re all on different levels. Everyone’s got their own problems.
- We see everything the way we are, and if things aren’t the way we are, we get frustrated.
- I didn’t let my disability get me down. I focused on my ability.
- It never occurred to me people saw my wheelchair, because I didn’t see it as part of me.
- My body is not who I am.
- If you see yourself as a victim, or in a negative way, that’s the way other people will see you.
- After a few encounters, people stop seeing “Steven in a wheelchair” and start seeing Steven.
- The subconscious mind doesn’t care if a habit is right or wrong. It just cares if you are used to doing it.
- People don’t care what you say. They remember how you made them feel.
- The moving road: there are no straight roads; it wobbles; it moves; that’s life.
Mentioned in this show:
- Bruce Van Horn
- My review of Bruce Van Horns book: “I’m paralysed, why read a book about marathon running?“
Couple links from Bruce Van Horn
Want Peace of Mind?
Not got time to meditate two hours every day?
Download my book, it explains how the mind works and start your journey to creating a more peaceful, calm and compassionate life. Without 40 years of meditation!